Take time to play in the grass and smell the flowers, like these butterflies!
Oh, have a look at the Assistive Technology info. too.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Modes of communication

Here are my ideas of various modes of communication:
the eyes(the window to one's soul, I think)
gestures
body language
tone of voice
written expression- a large variety of modes and purposes within this mode of commuincation
verbal expression
listening and responding in some manner(we all need to be communicative partners)
face to face
blogging
facebook
text messaging
PECS

Just in these few classes I think I am beginning to realize the significance of being able to communicate. I knew it was "big" but our discussions and videos we have watched in this short time has made me more aware of how "big". Being able to communicate is a task I have really taken for granted. I have had laryngitis a couple of days in a row several times in my life and have managed to still communicate verbally in shorter phrases or by way of other modes of communication. I can't even begin to imagine a lifetime not being able to express myself the way I want to or not to have a communicative partner understand me. The frustration that must cause for individuals! Looking at a particular student of mine, profoundly autistic and non verbal I applaud him for not being more frutrstade with us than he is at times when we are not able to understand him when he is trying the various modes of communication he has. I feel great guilt about many things in my life, one being that I have not given this student better / more ways to communicate that show his potential. I'm hopeful after me becoming even a little more knowledgable that I will be able to better support him in his efforts to communicate.

2 comments:

  1. We all have enought to feel guilty about Darlene. You have devoted a lot of time and energy to D and we both know you will continue to up the ante. We can't be all things to all students. the fact that you are here and seeing te possibilities and already planning how to use some new-to-you AT with your students is a big thing.

    ReplyDelete